Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day #5 (June 16, 2015) Helen, Georgia Awaits

After an amazing day in Kentucky, we hit the road to Helen, Georgia in search of a Treehouse on the river. It seemed like a REALLY good idea at the time.... Five hours into the trek, we found ourselves in the scenic byway of Georgia...then in the sixth hour as the sun was setting, we found ourselves in Richard Russell Highway...20 miles of never ending twists and turns, no lights, wildlife jumping out on the road. We felt like we were getting further and further from civilization. And this was after I instructed the GPS for "Highways" only. I guess in Georgia this winding back road is a highway. After about 18 miles and in the cover of darkness, I was beginning to get a little unnerved alone in a car with three kids who were sensing my panic.

Finally, we saw the exit to this "highway" and headed to the Treehouse. Only the Treehouse was down and "unverified" road according to my trusted navigation system. We were lost. In the dark, searching for a treehouse. At this point, I was dreaming of a Courtyard Marriott. I called the proprietor of the Treehouse, who intermittently gave me the final directions as my cell reception kept dying. She told us to go down this road and that, passed the "Haunted House" and down the one lane road. My arm hairs were up!

We reached the treehouse...in the pitch dark. And what was beautiful on the Internet all aglow in the dark, we a little creepy in real life. Stanley said as we pulled up, "I am NOT getting out of the car, Mom." Secretly, I was with him, but exhausted and in need of a bed. Our host guided us up the steep hill to the treehouse. With a few instructions, our guide left us on our own. In the dark, in the woods, spooked by the last hour of the journey. I calmed the children down, double locked all the doors, and laid down. The sounds of the night were literally making me a nervous wreck and after over 6 hours of driving, I never fell asleep. All three kids rested peacefully as I watched over them.

Tomorrow is going to be a long exciting day...tired or not!
Dinner at 10pm in Helen, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment